Trade Suggestions

Thread in 'Help Desk' started by shriker, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [h1]Trade Suggestions[/h1]
    I'm making a nice little thread for trade suggestions. Just so that they don't get lost anywhere.

The key to getting a new trade added to the database is to make one that's unique. The best sort of trades are in a league of their own and pretty much don't overlap any pre-existing trades.

Code:
    [b]Trade Name:[/b]
    [b]Trade Category:[/b] Magic, Sciences, Art and Design, Spiritual, Social and Literature, or Skills and Practises
    [b]Trade Description:[/b] 1-2 sentences describing the trade.
    [b]Additional:[/b] Anything else you'd like to say about the trade, or why you think it should be added.

2. Trade Name: Puppet Magic
    Trade Category: Magic
    Trade Description: A type of magic that allows the user to attach threads of Fronima to an inanimate object, therefore allowing them to control it. In strong cases one may be able to control living things' actions.
    Additional: Because my friend and I were talking about this stuff and I think it's quite possible to work on RaL. In the case of living things it only controls their body, not mind, so they can still make sounds and think.
    I don't think there's already a magic/kinesis that can do this anyways.

3. Trade Name: Economics
    Trade Category: Sciences
    Trade Description: A social science that deals with the production and consumption of goods and services.
    Additional: Honestly, I'm surprised that this still isn't there yet. I know some people who are studying Economics.

4. Trade Name: Mortician
    Trade Category: Skills and Practices
    Trade Description: A trade for those with the proper knowledge in the steps of a proper burial (as well as autopsy... zomg CSI) of other pendragons.
    Additional Info: We talked about this earlier. Mortician seems so much cooler than Funeral Directing. However, unless someone wants to be that weird guy from Final Destination, we might not get much for either. But you never know, people like dark characters.

5. <table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Draconan @ Feb 10 2008, 06:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Trade Name: Puppet Magic
    Trade Description: A type of magic that allows the user to attach threads of Fronima to an inanimate object, therefore allowing them to control it. In strong cases one may be able to control living things' actions.
    Additional: Because my friend and I were talking about this stuff and I think it's quite possible to work on RaL. In the case of living things it only controls their body, not mind, so they can still make sounds and think.
    I don't think there's already a magic/kinesis that can do this anyways. </td></tr></table>
    Uh... actually, Telekenisis would do that. Telekenisis: Manipulation of kenetic energies and potential energies... Ergo, movement of objects.

6. <table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Argent @ Feb 11 2008, 05:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Draconan @ Feb 10 2008, 06:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Trade Name: Puppet Magic
    I don't think there's already a magic/kinesis that can do this anyways. </td></tr></table>
    Uh... actually, Telekenisis would do that. Telekenisis: Manipulation of kenetic energies and potential energies... Ergo, movement of objects. </td></tr></table>
    Does telekinesis really have that much mobility though? >.< Everyone has their own idea of it and that really wasn't mine.
    Ohbahhumbug.

7. Well, Telekinesis can cover a broad aspect of things. However, the true specifics are to be on a character-by-character basis. You can have a Telekinetic character that specializes in manipulation of inanimate objects, specifically dolls/puppets. That's something that you would add to a character.

It's too specific and it works as a branch of Telekinesis. (It is a pretty interesting skill if you're planning on making a character for it though. Reminds me of Kankurou or however you spell it.)

8. Alright, well I guess that's out for a trade. Heh.

(I was not thinking of Kankuro at all, my friend has a character that specializes in that kind of magic. He has henchmen made of puppets |D)

9. Trade Name: Origami
    Trade Category: Skill
    Trade Description: A skill in which an individual can manipulate thin flat objects like paper to form shapes through the use of folding. These shapes can be simple or complicated, plant or animal.
    Additional: I just think this would be nice to have for the younger generation of 'dragons who would get bored during lessons.

10. Trade Name: Contortion
    Trade Category: Skills and Practices
    Trade Description: The natural or acquired ability to bend and contort the body into abnormal positions.
    Additional: The closest existing trade is acrobatics, but contortion & acrobatics are somewhat different. They can be used together in circus acts & stuff though.

11. I sniffed around and found this definition on wikipedia.

"Contortion (sometimes contortionism) is an unusual form of physical display which involves the dramatic bending and flexing of the human body. Contortion is often part of acrobatics and circus acts.

"In general, contortionists have unusual natural flexibility, which is then enhanced through gymnastic training."

Based on the above definition, I think it would be best if you were to create a character in acrobatics and then add in the trade notes that he/she also practices contortionism. That's my personal opinion though.

Also, Fey, could origami possibly similar to...

Crafting: The art of constructing pieces out of scrap materials, such as wood, paper, or other odds and ends.

?

12. Wellll. I guess so. D;

But I see them as somewhat different, mostly because someone could be really flexible but have no sense of balance, coordination, etc. They could still be a contortionist even with no acrobatic skills whatsoever. Conversely, there are plenty of acrobats without enough flexibility to be truly deemed contortionists.

Yeah, though, it could work to just use the acrobatics trade. I s'pose that's what I'll do. c:

13. <table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JCC @ May 4 2008, 12:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

Also, Fey, could origami possibly similar to...

Crafting: The art of constructing pieces out of scrap materials, such as wood, paper, or other odds and ends.

? </td></tr></table>
    Hmmm possibly though i think there would be enough of a difference for it to be seperate.

14. <span style='color:red'>Trade Name: Ventriloquism
    Trade Category: Skill, maybe social.
    Trade Description: Where an individual can throw their voice to appear to make their 'dummy' talk and have character.</span>

15. Trade Name: Teaching
    Trade Category: Social and Literature? Perhaps?
    Trade Description: Adeptness in this skill allows one to teach 'dragons efficiently and effectively in an area of choice, learning this trade involves some psychology and study of methods used to teach, such as simulation, memorization, repetition, subliminal messaging, etc.
    Additional: My descriptions a bit weak, sorry. But I don't think there's anything like teaching, at least not that I have seen (correct me if I'm wrong!)

( I've found out where I can post while I'm still a pending member, so you'll never get me to shut up now, sorry >] )

16. Trade name: Omnikinesis
    Trade catagory: master skill
    Trade description: It's essentialy the power to know and controll everything around you in basicly evry kineses, I'm only suggesting that characters with mmaster age or above even be considered to be given this skill. I just think it would be awsome to have short range godhood.

Notes: This would not allow you to reshape reality and physics without the proper training in wichever trade you want to affect, and even then it would only be possible for your more drastic alterations to affect an area around you that is preset in the guide. I suggest about an eigth mile, but Probably less.
    As a bonus you could be hyper effeicent at any other trade you choose,but only in your, well, demigods area of influence. This skill should probably be more of a bonus to some absolutely hideous expirimentation or something.

17. In response to Todel: A hypnotist may have enough skill to make people believe that what they're seeing is a dummy speaking. If you could expand on -how- one would qualify to be a genuine ventriloquist, then we can see how it matches up with the rest of the trades.

In response to Maair: Surprisingly we don't actually have a "Teaching" trade. Given that Pendragons - after a certain age - can begin to teach what they know, I'm not entirely sure if "Teaching" is a trade we -should- have, but I don't see why we -shouldn't- for the same token, because there would be Pendragons out there who'll have gained valuable knowledge at younger ages, and perhaps even teaching would go to better themselves, or give them a more rounded personality... That's an interesting one.

In response to Xander: Omnikinesis is going to be met with a lot of uneasiness, because it does empower a Pendragon way too much. Characters of Master age will most likely have gone through and become Masters in a very specific field. Becoming a Master in every kinetic skill going would be virtually improbable, but it is more probable to be Apprentice and (at best) Journeyman in every trade involving kinetics, because to perfect a skill to know and control every one of them would take more than a standard life time. And I think vampires would also struggle - if you wanted to go down the extended life route. As it stands, I would be very hesitant to approve of Omnikinesis.

18. I completely understand, maybe a Grader would have but nobody elese could really live long enough to pull it off, maybe a special trade thing where one specialized trade is mastered really really early at the expense of the other trade slot...... or a ranking system for masters? The second might be better but sub trades might be neat to.

19. Dedicating one's life to one single chosen trade -might- increase the likelihood of becoming more skilled earlier on, so, in that regard, having a character with only one trade assumes that that char is then focused on being good in that field. I can see the relevance of that one.

Graders, though, I won't speak about them :D nah, I don't think the Graders, by themselves, would have (what you're describing to be) omnikinesis. They're still Pendragons (to a degree?).

What exactly do you mean by "a ranking system for masters"? I don't fully comprehend your last 2 sentences =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.