there and back again

Thread in 'Ramathian Scrolls' started by Enalska, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I opened this up for anyone to join if you want, since he is selling. I so you can have yer character pop in interested in something and buy it and pop out, or stay to talk! I nor Syd mind either way. Come make friends! No posting order, this is at market. Syd and Diom will likely chitchat away if anyone else comes but I do encourage anyone at all t come on in~

Home sweet home. Or second home. Home was out there-- beyond the fronima-based shield keeping the water out of the city. Aurius was a home away from home. Here he was on dry land but surrounded by water, water he could easily into into should he have the need. Today, the aging Aquabat was making his rounds around the still-healing under water city. They were doing very well in the clean up and in a few months things should be back to normal. Back to normal but one couldn't forget the horror of what had happened. But today he had come to shop , barter and trade. He had come with goods from his home, jewels, gems, tapestries, weapons, exotic flora and fauna. He had himself a little shop set up in the marketplace. He displayed his goods proudly. He had many edible, some treats recipes passed down from the first generations, and things that his family pack had made as well as things he he weaved and turned into beautiful pieces all by himself.​
    Along with those things he had fishing gear, nets, spears, underwater crossbows, arrows, daggers, all swords of water-handy weaponry for those who were interested in that other than pretty things and foods. And there in the middle of all his wonderful goods, the fluffy, dark-brown haired arden sat smiling, the expression accentuate his handsome crow's feet and bringing a lot of charismatic character to his face. He hummed a friendly, happy tune of old, one that only the Aquabats from his tribe would know; one webbed hand danced in time with the tune and his slender, long and also webbed tail swaying along with it. Surely people couldn't look at him and keep going on their way. He had plenty of wonderful things to sell! Friends to make, people to meet! Come one, come all. Sydney's fishery and bobbles was open for business, and the friendliness, kindness, jokes and tips were absolutely free!​

2. It had been a long time since Diom was in Aurius; he hardly knew what to do with himself now that he was. The streets were unfamiliar, the sounds--and even the general air--strange to him. He should have been more comfortable in the underwater city perhaps, particularly now that it had been re-submerged; but the aquabat was one of the few who'd given up water a long time ago. He'd lived on dry land far longer than he ever had in the water, thanks to his ability to see diminishing rapidly. Echolocation could only get you so far, and even that had been damaged by the tumor pressing down on his brain. Diom had only just come across a healer capable of fixing that a bit.

Walking with a bandage tied over his eyes and a thick scarf wrapped across his muzzle, the blind aquabat made his way through the city. If the bandage wasn't a big enough clue, his new accessory would be--a long stick he used to tap against the ground, finding his way by the sounds it made. The healer had been able to infuse a gem into his head at the base of either ear, each charmed to pick up the sounds in the same way his echolocation abilities had once been able to. This, in essence, gave him the ability to see once more; though with the Flux Diom was rather leery about the charm even with the all-clear given.

Nevertheless he had to admit it worked well, as he had a clear picture of his surroundings moving down the street. Of course, that was somewhat impeded by the fact that he had no idea where he was compared to where he was supposed to be, and so of course was utterly lost anyway. Diom had not come to Aurius simply to visit; he rarely left Watani for anything, and nothing so trivial as getting to 'see' new sights.

His purpose for this visit was a charity event, thrown together for the orphaned or injured children of Aurius left over from the Flux. Diom had been invited to do one of his puppet shows, and had also spent most of the last season working on an assortment of toys to give out during the event. He'd had rather specific instructions, but once he was out on the streets--and even with his new equipment--he had no sense of direction.

Diom paused in the street, ears laying back against his head as he brought his stick up and began tapping it against the ground. It was thoughtful as well as frustrated, and a sigh escaped him as he tried to make the charm for his sight give him a clearer picture. Of course, echolocation could only get you so far; he had the basic shapes and whereabouts of his surroundings, but that didn't tell him where he was. Between the sharp signals coming to his ears from the tapping of his staff, he could faintly make out the sound of someone singing. His ears swiveled, and he turned his head slightly, pausing in his tapping.

No, not singing; simply humming. The tune was vaguely familiar, though only in its similarity to a few songs from his youth; he didn't recognize it specifically, but it made the stranger's species apparent--an Aquabat, of course. The gentle tapping came again, and he focused intently on the man, attempting to 'get a look' at him.

"Excuse me," Diom said at last, turning his head slightly. He was smiling, but that wasn't apparent under his many layers of clothes. It could be heard in his voice, though, along with the awkward anxiety that accompanied him whenever he needed help. "Would you happen to know where I can find the Toys & Joy event? I seem to have lost my way."

He knew for certain that it was being held in a park, but that was all; he'd expected to have some sort of guide upon entering the city, but no one had greeted him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.