The Official "Introduction & Hangout" Thread

Thread in 'Hatchling Central' started by shriker, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Welcome @KingofCobras ! What kind of roleplaying have you done? Maybe I can help you make a couple parallels. :)

2. I've done a some original fantasy, and a bit of DnD.

3. Seeing as the wiki appears to be dead, could I ask a question about the magic system?

4. You can call me Gadzzz. I have been roleplaying for years. My first play by post was on tangled web. I'm just looking for another opportunity to play

5. @KingofCobras The wiki is up, but you're totally free to ask any questions about the magic system. :)

@Gadzzz Welcome! Being from Tangled Web... what would you say your favourite pen and paper games are?

6. Must just be me then. Is dark sorcery control of shadows, or just.... Evil stuff?

7. @KingofCobras

It's possible it isn't auto-creating your account or something. I can watch the logs and see if any error messages pop up. As for Dark Sorcery, here's what we have on it:

So it is largely about shadows, but also predominately destructive magic overall.

8. Hello. I'm a wolf boy who has been cursed to look younger then I am. I have a blue furr with white tribal marks on it.

9. Hello! My name's Katie, and I've stalked Shadowlack for a loooooong time. I started roleplaying over a decade ago, first hopping from forum to forum looking for a good fit till I finally settled in at 'Souls (which is probably where I found Shadowlack to begin with). I've played there off and on since March of 2004.

I'm interested in the Yki!

10. Hey! Welcome back to our corner of the internet, @Hannawolf! What's the big draw to wolf roleplaying for you? I used to do it ages ago but never could get back into it. :(

11. Not honestly sure! I tried big cat RP, I did a bit of horse RP back when Geocities was still up, but nothing pulled me back in quite like wolves. Maybe it's the whole pack dynamic, and the being able to rise in rank. 'Souls in particular has held my attention like no other board; I've tried to go to other wolf boards, but aside from a decent-ish stint at WWS, none of them really caught me. I did also play a lot of Dragonriders of Pern RP, first on EZboard, and then more recently one that had its own webspace.

EDIT: I think the community has a lot to do with it. The SA, the administrative team at Souls, hasn't changed much as far as composition, and they're fairly open with how they operate. The members are always accepting, as well, no matter what the topic is. I have a feeling Shadowlack's members are similar, because like Souls it's been in operation for a long time, and members have grown up along with it.

12. Hello! I am a new member of Shadowlack and my alias is Yumi. I started roleplaying about 3 years ago but it was mostly done online. Shadowlack is my first online play-by-post roleplay so I hope to learn a lot from everyone!

I was interested in the characters but I somehow could only load the character creation guide (excluding the links provided in them). I am very interested in the fact that this roleplay has science fiction and fantasy and I am really curious of the magic side of this roleplay. I found Shadowlack when I was searching for a good online roleplaying site and the story perked my interest. I'm a little new to merged genres of roleplay but I'd love to try and have fun!

Also I have a pet kitten. A really cute one too.

Thank you for taking your time to read this and I hope I wasn't too much of a noob! ;;v;;

13. #114 grimalkin, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2015
    Hi... So this site is pretty unique, huh? I've never seen an rp site with so much technical work put into it, and the layout... *swoons*
    ... I dunno what to write here. Imma just shoot off some random trivia.

This username is my go-to, and people usually call me Malkin. I lean towards cynical and/or lovable a**hole characters. My favourite TV Tropes are Deadpan Snarker and Did You Think I Can't Feel? I am smol. I'm better at first-person writing, so my third-person posts favour emotion and internal thoughts over setting.

buh-bye

14. @Hannawolf Oh gosh, that is awesome. Do you remember the names of any of the old Geocities games? I ran a couple way back when under some aliases, and was involved in quite a few more. :)

I'd have to say that yeah, the member base of 'Souls and Shadowlack are quite similar. Pretty relaxed, laid back bunch. Although we don't quite have as much leadership here (not as much need given that characters aren't as strictly hierarchical here.) I end up recommended 'Souls to a lot of people.

Welcome, @DangoYumi! You should be able to create characters now. You have to make a least one post in order to be able to submit a new character. It's kind of weird, but it saves me from getting spam character applications that are actually about Korn cover bands (it's happened, haha). The wiki is in a little bit of disarray at the moment, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask 'em!

Also, please be sure to share photos of your kitten. :3 :cat:

Sup @grimalkin! Yep, a lot of custom work has gone into the site. I'm a programmer by trade (well, full stack dev, so there's dev ops/server admin/programming/and front-end in there). Glad you like! I'm trying to free up some more time next week to get some updates in, so let me know if you have any cool ideas you wouldn't mind seeing implemented.

TV Tropes is a hell of a drug...

15. @Iversia The one I remember most is Crystal Dreams, I played a lead mare for one of the herds, uhhhhhh. Shasta? I think was my character's name. Them the creator there made Crystal Nightmares which was a wolf rp, but I didn't play there as much. I used to have all my information saved but it's probably lost to the ether now.

Question, I donated to Patreon for you, is there anything special I have to do on this end to get Magos and all that?

16. @Hannawolf That sounds kinda familiar... I think the one I hang out at the most was called Northern Exposure. I also ran one called Rogue Forest for quite some time. ^_^

Nope, nothin' special! I just matched the email addresses and upgraded you. Thanks for letting me know! Patreon doesn't have an API yet, so I still have to do a few of these things manually.

17. @Iversia Thank you! I think it's definitely time for me to create one, though I might need a slight explanation about the characters and all since the wiki is unavailable for me.

Can I have a brief explanation of this please? It'd be easier for me to get around xD

18. If your in Firefox, use internet explorer.