The Basketball Game!

Thread in 'Game-Related' started by Stormwing, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. <font color='#F8F8FF'>Okay... Jodie (Spectra) mentioned something about a contest at the end of the newsletter. But she didn’t have a lot of details because I had to go last night before I could relay most of them to her. Ehhe.

The basic idea I had is based on the rules of basketball (yes, an Earth-based game, as this is going to be a stricty OoC contest, and because most of us understand the basics of how this game works). But it would also be something of a scavenger hunt. Is your interest piqued yet?

I have not yet hammered out the finer details... and that’s where you all come in. I dunno what would be better — every man or woman for his or herself? Or how about teams (there would have to at least be four or five of those to make the game work correctly)? The prize would probably be temporary moderator powers, or maybe a personalized picture. That’s why I don’t know if large teams would work out. What would you all prefer?

As for the actual game, it would be separated into four rounds. Or quarters, if we stick to the basketball theme. Because it might be challenging, and involved, the quarters would probably be kind of long. For each quarter, a select panel of judges will send the players out to search for something — like most disgusting fact, most heartfelt poem, or funniest quote. As of yet, I don’t know if the judges should assign only one thing to search for, or a whole lot at one time. What do you think?

The person (or team) who has the, for example, funniest quote at the given deadline will earn three points, since that is (I am pretty sure) the highest amount of points you can get in one shot. The second place person (or team) would get two points, and the third place person (or team) would get one point. Everybody else would get zero. Ehhe. At the end of all four quarters, the points would be added up, and the winner(s) announced!

If there is enough interest, a players sign-up would be held. And if the majority of participants want teams, teams will be assigned by the judges.

As you can probably tell, I am not very good at describing things. This game idea is probably hard to understand. And there are a lot of details that are really vague and even undecided. I ask you to please bear with me as the game is figured out completely, and to join in if you can. We want to expand Ramath-lehi, and this is my idea for doing that OoC’ly. But I don’t want to do it all alone! So, c’mon, join in, and let’s get this contest off the ground, eh?</font>

2. <font color='#A4D9EB'>Well, Kat, I understand that completely. I'd definitely join in. I'd prefer if everyone would play for themselves..</font>

3. <font color='#ABCDEF'>That sounds like fun ^^ I'd actually prefer to do it in teams. I think that would increase the amount of friendliness between people, which would increase the amount of OOC chitchat. Then you could have like, a team meeting, deciding, for example, which joke is funniest. There could be a board for each team, thats password protected. I don't know if you can do that with Ikonboard though. Just my opinions. ^__^</font>

4. <font color='#FF7F00'>This looks fun. But I am a tad lost xD</font>

5. <font color='#CCCCCC'>This sounds fun! Maybe we could all pair up? That way, it's small groups, but you still have a team member. Or we could have an individual and a team devision, each done seperately.</font>

6. <font color='698AAB'>I would be aaaa.. judge? ^^;  Anyway, I'm all for it! Sounds like fun, get people interactive and get something out it of meanwhile. [​IMG]</font>

7. <font color='#F8F8FF'>Yeah, methinks the staff would be the judges (unless they didn’t want to be, or if they wanted to participate in the game). To be fair, perhaps I should have a judge application so other members who want to be judges have a shot, too...?

Okay, and I thought of more stuff. Like, say it’s Quarter One, and the judges assign the following “topics” in the search:

1. Funniest quote.
    2. Most disgusting fact.
    3. Prettiest self-written poem.
    4. Most sensible haiku.
    5. Funniest real road sign.

Just so everyone knows, each “topic” would be judged separately, even though they were collected as a group. I mean, one person could have the funniest quote, but another could have the most sensible haiku, so who would get the three points? That’s why each “topic” would be judged separately. In the given example, the highest possible score would be 15 points — 3 points per “topic”.

As for my personal opinion on individual verses teams... methinks a two-person team would be pretty sensible. [​IMG]

Hm... pretty soon, I will have a sign-up for those interested. But I still need more ideas and I need to get properly organized. You can help me with suggestions such as:

How long do you think each Quarter should be?
    How many “topics” do you think should be assigned each Quarter? The longer the Quarter, the more “topics”, remember.
    How long should the break between Quarters be?
    And any other questions or comments or ideas you want to add in...</font>

8. <font color='#728FCE'>Sounds like fun to me. I would join in but I'm having computer problems and might be leaving one last time before school starts. If the computer problems don't go away we might have to go get the computer looked at. [​IMG]</font>

9. <font color='#810541'>I'd go for it too. It sounds like a tonn of fun!
    Will we have enough peple to pair up though?
    And what if you dont have a designated partner?</font>

10. <font color='#FFFFFF'>I can't really answer all of the questions here but... I had another idea for a prize.

An IC position on the Grader's Council of Twelve.</font>

11. <font color='#8D38C9'>I'd definitely do it! And Kumo's right! It would make everyone friendlier, and it would be much easier to role play! We might even get some new people here on Ramath-lehi! [​IMG] We're almost to 200! Woot! Heres a question about the pairs or teams:
    Should they be random, or should you pick your teammate(s)?</font>

12. <font color='#F8F8FF'>Jodie: Sounds like a cool prize to me.

Hm... if we have enough people interested, we can have pairs. If not, each player can play individually. No big deal. It really just depends on how many people are willing to play. Yepyep.

What would you guys prefer if there was partners — one chosen by the judges, or one chosen by yourself? Keep in mind, it might be a lot more confusing if you get to pick your own.

I'll open a sign-up thread pretty soon. *Nods* And I think... I covered everything? If not, somebody slap me.</font>

13. <font color='#810541'>Personally I'd prefer to be paired up with someone where the partner was picked for me, but I dont really know anyone on here so thats my reason. [​IMG]

Maybe if people had someone in mind they could pair up (like have both enter in one post). People who want to play but dont have partners can sign up as singles and can then be paired up when the signup is closed by you big guys at the top of the triangle? Just a suggestion...</font>

14. <font color='#F8F8FF'>We can do that. During sign-ups, two people could sign up together, and be automatic partners. And others could sign up individually, and be matched with someone else who signed up individually. Is that what you meant? Because that would be fine. =D</font>

15. <font color='#FFFFFF'>Sounds like fun.. and I like the prize of getting an IC place of power!!

*grins*

Uh.. so.. I'm all for it.. yeah.. although, right now, I may not have enough time but later on, it'd be great!!</font>

16. <font color='#FFFFFF'>*raises hand* I think partners should be completely random, because it's not fair. I don't know anyone here, and no one knows me. Older Ramathians would partner up to the exclusion of new people, and the true bonding experience would never happen, because all the newbies would be partnered together and all the veterans would be partnered together. We'd grow apart as generations!

*slaps self* I seem to be taking this all way too seriously. *grins evilly* But Yayaee wants that council position...

Anyway, as soon as the sign-up list shows up, put me on it! (:</font>

17. <font color='#F8F8FF'>*Giggles — is under the influence of Squirt and the Jodie*

You have a good point. Mm. I think it would put a limit on the interactive-with-new-people thinger... thing... if only friends paired up. So, unless anyone has a vehement objection, we da judges shall assign partners, yes...?

Hee... everyone wants that council position.</font>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.