Switched over to MySQL

Thread in 'General Chat' started by shriker, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. <font color='#000000'>I made some changes to the forum today, including a rather big one. I switched the forum from DBM to MySQL.

Everything seems to be running smoothly... but if you notice anything weird, please let me know. If you make any important IC posts from here on in, you may want to back them up on your own computer for safe-keeping just in case we have to go back to the old database.

The only thing that I noticed that happened with the board is that the topics got renamed. That means that all of you who have your character links up (The ones that show on the Topic View) will have to go through the Character Profiles, get the new link(s) to yoru character profiles, and use it instead.

If you need any help with this, just drop me a PM and I can do it for you.

The FAQ is also currently offline. Other than that change and the links, everything else seems pretty much normal. No real data/post loss at all. So cross your fingers/toes/and whatever else you happen to have available.</font>

2. <font color='#000000'>mySQL is a very stable and quick platform and once you've made the switch you shouldn't encounter any problems. [​IMG]</font>

3. <font color='#000000'>Shouldn't. Most likely will though.

I'm a novice at it anyway. I'm trying to figure out how to set up an array with three different usernames to sort of spread the load of the forum.

Edit: Oh.. and I think that people's notes are gone. If you had something really important stored in there, I *might* be able to get it. It would have to wait until tonight though, I'm sort of stuck on a college computer at the moment.</font>

4. <font color='#000000'>Spread the load across multiple databases? I'd suggest against it... no offense to you but on a board this small (in the grand scheme of things, it's tiny) no more than one database server should be needed for mySQL</font>

5. <font color='6C6C6C'>oooOOOooo... =D  It's loading much faster than it has been over the past couple days. *nodnod*

Oh, to make it easier on you guys finding your character forms, go to the character profile forum, and at the bottom, where you can sort the posts, make it by 'post starter' and then depending on your user name, in 'ascending' or 'descending' order. (Mine's Zeva, so naturally, I used descending, so the Z's would be on the first page. If you're closer to A, then put it ascending. =D  )

Ta-daa! *grins*</font>

6. <font color='#000000'>*Blinks* I had a TON of rather important notes. [​IMG] I may have some of them (I had this weird premonition about losing them a few days ago) saved on my home PC, but if I don't, I'd really like it if you could somehow retrieve them. =)

[​IMG]</font>

7. <font color='#000080'>good job heh, im still tring to set up my forum, the mysql doesnt seem to want to work</font>

8. <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (Phrawlic @ Oct. 17 2003, 12:27 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><font color='#000000'>Spread the load across multiple databases? I'd suggest against it... no offense to you but on a board this small (in the grand scheme of things, it's tiny) no more than one database server should be needed for mySQL</font></td></tr></table>
    <font color='#000000'>Nuu... not multiple databases, multiple users. See, my host Powweb only allows a certain amount of queries per hour and a certain amount of connections per hour. But these are based individually on user accounts on MySQL. You're allowed three users per database. Hm, it was just a recommendation I had when concerning forums. ^^;

And I'll try to get your notes for ya Kattlebean.</font>

9. <font color='#000000'>*Wanders around all lost and uprooted like*</font>

10. <font color='#000000'>Hmm, actually quite a good idea. But that makes me question the safety of switching to mySQL... we could wind up off-line quite often...</font>

11. <font color='#000000'>[​IMG]  I think that we're safe. Our traffic is nowhere near high enough to cause any problems.

"36,000 queries/user per hour and 3,600 connections per hour." I believe is more than enough. For next year though, I'd like to find a new host. This one just isn't at all what I thought it would be.</font>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.