Sketchessss

Thread in 'General Chat' started by kutz, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I always do sketches when I'm in the mood or when I'm totally bored. I did all sketches of my characters once but I lost them :(

So here's a couple to show you guys. Critism appreciated.

[​IMG]
    I did this horrible horrible drawing of Veaji Ralla. Hmm... she didn't turn out as what I wanted to. At first she looked kinda male-ish. Then I added the long hair and the body... now she looks... odd?

I did sketch a really good one of Kutz a while back.
    [​IMG]
    Ta-da!

I had no scanner whatsoever. So I used my camera phone =/ Humblest apologies for the bad quality.

2. I like them =) I can't do quad, so mucho kudos to you for that! As for Veaji, I knew straight away the gender =p I don't think you did a bad job with her at all. The anatomy isn't too far off =). You knew this before anyone else; it's just the head. It would need a bit more tweaking. Softer, more smoothly sloping lines, and smaller noses give the common impression of feminism. Other than that, I don't think there's all too much to worry about. Umm... possibly the height of the shoulders too. If you drop them a tad then she'll look more feminine.

I personally would be tempted to lightly hint at the presence of her rib cage - possibly extend a thin line from her stomach, or, alternatively, from under her bust, draw out (again faint/thin) angled lines to denote her abdomen; all suggested because of her frame, being very slender.

I would also be tempted to give her a fluffy tail, but that's me =p. Hope that helps! ^^ It's good work, and of both of them you should be proud.

3. Very well done! As for critique-wise, i'd be agreeing with dumu's. He got everything in one shot. Nothing else i can say but nice job! and keep at it!

4. Thank yous! =) Yeah that quad drawing was way back few years ago. Not sure if I can come up with that again. I do vaguely remember this is a practice drawing of a drawing I found surfing the net. Just added the wings and other stuff to fit her description. Might need some practice to draw like that again.

I have trouble drawing the human anatomy as you can see. Anthrophs are kind of hard for me. Veaji's tail could be fluffy but I've already made up my mind she's gonna stay with a tail that whips people.

Thanks the tips. I'll keep them in mind. ^^

5. Some of this may be repeating, but here you go.

Biped
    Pretty damn good actually. The width of the shoulders looks pretty dead on in comparison to the head. I'm going to suggest that you look at some more reference photos. Particularily pay attention to where exactly the collar bone is, breasts, and overall torso and hip area. Her elbows should also be around where her belly button is if they were bent, though it looks like you've got a little bit of foreshortening going on.

Quad
    Reference photos! I can't really stress this one enough. Wings in particular really need to be referenced. The wings that you drew just don't make sense to me. Think of them as an extra pair of arms that have bones and bends in them. I tend to just draw a rough skeletal structure for wings before fleshing them out. For the body, I suggest that you look at either canine or feline skeletal structures, and then muscle structures in order to learn how to flesh things out and make it all more believable. :)

Edit: Just a couple of good references.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/kakosenas/ref/canine-skeleton.jpgCanine Skeleton</a>
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/kakosenas/ref/canine-muscles.jpgCanine Muscle Structure</a>
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/kakosenas/ref/feline-skeleton.jpgFeline Skeleton</a>
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/kakosenas/ref/feline-muscle.jpgFeline Muscle Structure</a>

6. Thanks for the references. Still need some work on the wings though. Out of curiousity, why doesn't the wings make sense to you?

7. I'd give you a redline, but my tablet appears to be in nowhere land at the moment.

Anywho, the base of the wing and elbow joint make sense. It's just how you've drawn the fingers and supporting membranes. A bat wing is a lot like a giant, elongated hand. Unlike bird wings, drawing the skeletal structure first for bat wings is really important.

Here's a really basic comparison drawing that I ganked off the internet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/kakosenas/ref/bat-wing.gifHuman vs Bat vs Bird</a>

So instead of just having the "fingers" make a triangle, there would be a lot more curvature. Sort of like if a hand/wing were cupping something. I think that makes sense. :x

8. OOOO... Ok I get it now. Thanks yee ^^ :P

9. As far as I know, wings prettymuch follow the same pattern as arms and legs: Ball joint, elbow joint, wrist, fingers. :O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.