Site Backups and Inactive Accounts

Thread in 'General Chat' started by shriker, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey folks. Just sort of procrastinating at the moment. Two more final projects for me to complete before I get my Christmas break. Fwhew.

Anyway, I just wanted to inform you all that a few days ago I configured the website so that it'll automatically backup data. It already did this before, but not as frequently as I would have liked. I also have all the data stored off-site, just in case something should ever happen. The cool part though? It's all automatic. I've got some cron jobs running, which in short, are jobs run by the server at a specific time. So hooray! I've been meaning to do this for quite some time.

Yes, the FlashChat still isn't working. I'm not sure what the bug is, as it was a clean install. I haven't had the time to go hunting for the bug because none of the error messages have been specific enough. All I can tell is that it *is* properly connected to the database because I can still login to the FC admin panel. It doesn't make much sense to me. I'll look into it over my holidays though.

Another important update is in regards of inactive accounts. People who have not posted in over 90 days (in either the IC or OOC forums), are going to have their accounts and characters deleted (this excludes people in the Lurker group). I feel the need to do this because I believe that the current character and trade count is an unfair representation of Ramath-lehi. So here's what going to happen: If an account goes without posting for 90 days, they'll get an email about it. If within 30 days or so from when that email is received and they still don't post, their account will be deleted. Let me know your thoughts on this. :)

Back to homework I go.

2. The auto-backup sounds fine.

Pity about flashchat. =(

That is a good way to net out the unactive people who are taking up space.

Overall, sounds like you have done some good things for the site. Enjoy studying and I'll try to do the same. =p

3. Mwahaha! *Sits on inactive bogies with a big cheesey grin on his mush - squinty anime blink* People go pop, koohoo.

Ayop ayop, 'tis mintness! XD

4. QUick Alternative:

http://www.zirc.org/chathttp://www.zirc.org/chat</a>

Name: Your username here.
    Channel: #RaL

You'd probably find me in there and in #AMV most of the time. The only problem with that is, to hold everything intact you'd need something there that will stay online forever.
    <_<; So, if you want to make it something official you may need a place holder there.

5. Aye, I tried the flashchat earlier hoping to find Del, because my messenger is the SUCK and won't let people add me or me add them, they're displayed as offline for an eternity.

PM tag is hard. </3

Luckily, I hope this counts towards not being pwned by the account deleter.

6. Yay for auto-backups :) Bet it saves you a lot of work and remembering Shriker :)

*pets dumu warily..* Think someone needs the white-coat brigade hehe!

That's a very good way to work out who's actually around RaL and whatnot.... It should prompt more people to be more active hehe! Yes that includes me but I haven't got net sorted in my flat yet as my computer is deaded :(

And I agree on the homework count. I have over 10 assignments to do before I am allowed home (even though uni broke up on fri.. long story) :( It sucks rapine's butt!

But it'll make us enjoy our freedome more lol!

7. HA! I'm on break. *dances* But, yeah, the excess account deleting thing will definately give more opportunities for trades and, every website and computer needs a good backup thingy.

8. Yay, bash the evil non-posters holding nice players from getting the good trades....Just don't bash me (I said I was stuck on an net-less holiday break0 ^_^)

Sorry, I needed to say something random. *Bops Dumu with a foam hammer* See?

9. *Poingles*

10. *full mouth of pizza*
    Mmfh. Sh'nds gut tu mei

11. hey man im not an evil non poster i just hate waiting for all the other to post and that hasnt been a while the 2 of december if i remeber corectly.

12. I probably should be put in the lurker group >> I really dun post that much any more...

13. *pulls head out of cobweb-filled mansion*

...woah, it's been that long since I was last here?!

Yeahh. I'm not sure what to do right now, but I'll figure it out.

14. Good idea i suppose a spring clean every now and again was needed. Plus backups are always needed

15. Good point, If Kala Nag isn't deleted already, I'll go do that now, free up space for this site, Me'thinks.

Then I can be a happy 'lil OOC poster. :}

16. Jodie, will you say something to us when the first wave of inactives are deleted?

17. Yep, I will. I have to finish writing the script for it first (shouldn't take much longer, as I just need to bug test it). There's quite a few people that are going to get cut if they don't get posting. Kinda scary really.

18. How so... what?

19. Because they're taking up space unnecessarily..?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.