Oh don't i feel original now.

Thread in 'General Chat' started by Temrin, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. o.O I was looking up my username/alias/nickname (Temrin) On google and found a lot of old sites i used to visit and play on but dont anymore. (I also realised that my hours of making up a name for my character here, well, Temrin is apperently Turkish. and it means Practicing. How lame.)
    Along the way though, i saw someones literature over at NaNoWriMo. From what i read, their main character in the story in named Temrin. i also found out that some scientist dudes last name is Temrin, and that a bunch of people around the world have the last name Temrin. WTF. I spent HOURS trying to make up a name i liked and i happen to create one that already exsists?! Dont i feel really original now. When i read that persons literature over at NaNoWriMo i wanted to strangle the person for taking my name. o.O I know thats over kill but it made me angry that the name i spent so much time trying to come up with was already out there in the world. My brain is going WHAT?!

*sighs* its kind of depressing o.O I mean, i thought that i was original and that i came up with the name all by myself! (i did at the time! i had no outside influences!) But it was already taken... I want a name, that MEANS me. When you hear it, you go, oh i know that person. I know people could take my name and use it but still. I kinda wonder if that person on NaNoWriMo thought he/she came up with that name or if they saw it somehwere. I would like to know o.O

~CV

2. THe fact that you're on top of GOogle Search means that you win. Screw everyone else. The only way you'll find me is if you type Nilix-Delnori in Google.

3. There is now a 'Black Metal' rock band called Lautir out there, and I know they were on the net before I was so in my mind they took my name ;) But before that when I was first trying to come up with my screen name there was just this really old jazz song called 'lautir'. It also comes up as a word now and then, but I have no idea what it means or even what language.

You shouldn't feel too bad though, you'll always be the only Temrin in my mind!

If you really want to know where they got that name e-mail the person and ask them them. There's someone on DeviantArt that has a character called 'Lautir' and there have been many times where I've been tempted to post 'I am your character! Bow before me!' on his page xD But I never have...

((At this exact moment I'm writing my a NaNo thread for RaL so it feels very strange that you are mentioning it now xD ))

4. HeheheI see that you wrote the thread lautir XD

And heck yes! im on the top of the google search MUAHAHAHAHAHA. I r AWESOME.

Its funny because if you look at the persons page now at nanowrimo, the story isnt there. But it was their last years entry, it was a cached version of the page i found on google XD hehe

5. I've had the same problem. Whenever I looked up Dumu, Shanu or Ivumo, I found they were words in every day language or popular last names in India and surrounding countries.

I know the unoriginal feeling =D But at least what makes us original is how we use our characters and what reputation our characters get. So in time to come, when people say, "Hey, you know that Temrin character?", people are going to ask, "You mean that one from NaNoWriMo?" "No, the red and black one, doofus", they're going to know because of something or from somewhere your charrie made an impression :p

6. hehehe thats true ^^ Thanks dumu~ :heart:

7. apparently i'm a band.
    and a song.
    and a book by Dennis Rawlins which is "...A testimony on the skeptical antiastrological literature."
    and a record company??

hmm.

8. I didn't know about any of that stuff for any of you. In fact, if none of you had brought it up noone on Ramath would know, hmmmmmm.......... My name is appaerently shared with a main character on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", I feel so ashamed.....

9. Don't feel ashamed! 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' is awesome!

10. i don't think being 'original' is having your ideas go unreproduced. i mean, i understand how it's a downer to realize that no, your idea does exist already, but i think it's a matter of coming up with it on your own.

i mean, really, if we consider the vast amount of brain that exists in the world today of 6 billion (and counting) people, we've got a lot of thought occurring. it's not unlikely that the thought that we've tried to formulate into word already exists in one shape, form or another.

but i'm not a HUGE individualist to begin with (; i think it's a very northwestern idea. let's be commies instead. (;

11. and p.s. phylus comes up as:

a Star Wars character (awesome)
    and an insect.

yesssss.

12. Oh, shush. Thunderclaw is the name of the Thundercats' ride. I didn't even know there was such a thing as the "Thundercats" until I did a picture search for my name and turned up a bunch of pictures of some semi-lame 80s toy.

Not to mention it doesn't take a terribly lot of imagination to come up with. A quick googling turns up an Australian experimental metal band, someone's facebook account, a PBP character that isn't mine, an Everquest mob and a YouTube memorial to some guy's dog, which was, yes, named Thunderclaw.

I'll chalk it up to being young, unimaginative and having low standards. If I changed it now, I'd lose track of who I was, where. And, y'know, it kinda stuck. Now I always know what to put when registering somewhere. Hell, I'm just glad I thought of a name after I decided having numbers in them is retarded.

(In Summary: HAHA I WIN.)

13. Ahhh but see, i made the post about all this. So therefore i win ^^
    I also has boobs, therefor i win~ :heart:

14. haha, yay for female anatomy!!!
    CV, you will forever win, because you are so awesome :)
    but i'm not playing favorites xD

15. Being a male, I resent such chatter and will be sending a letter to the villege council at once. Shame on you all for deciding to speak in public, this is a free country after all, not one of those newfangled chat rooms.

16. You... resent... boobs? You sick, sick man. While I must confess that I disagree with the notion that they makes you awesome by default, they don't exactly hurt. Well, unless you use them as bludgeoning devices, or something. I, uh, suppose that could be rather painful.

17. xan is right !!! tooooo muuich wods!!

18. (for anyone new to my humor, my last comment was SARCASM poeple. I know that nobody really took it seriously, but still.)

19. Gasp! sarcasm! oh noes! (:heart:'s sarcasm for the record)

Back on the topic of your name tho Vixen. Its the web, somewhere, somehow in its vast entirety someone is going to have the same thought as you (this applies to everything) and unfortunately this is how the world works. However, Obviously your use of the name is super awesome and totally bettar than everyone elses, and yes boobs FTW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.