NaNoWriMo 2013 Commences!

Thread in 'General Chat' started by Lautir, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Some of you may have noticed a few of use throwing the random acronym NaNoWriMo around these last few days, so I'm hear to tell you what it means!

NaNi-2013-Participant.png
    It stands for National Novel Writing Month which is a early online challenge where writers from around the world pledge to write 50,000 words in the month of November.

If you're intrigued you can go check out the official website Nanowrimo.org, where you can sign up and mingle with other writers. They also have an excellent FAQ that explains everything in more detail, but if you don't feel like searching for an answer feel free to ask here :)

NaNoWriMo has a bit of history with Shadowlack. @Iversia has instituted badges for members to earn on completion of the 50k challenge in the past and this year she's working towards adding an extra twist of users being able to use their NaNo word counts to earn Glims here on the site.

While many users set out to write one 50,000 word story November is a great time for people aiming for something else to push themselves to the limits. Maybe you'll write longer thread replies that might total 50k by the end of the month. Maybe you'll write a bunch of short stories by the end of the month. Maybe you contribute 50k to our own Wiki during the month. All of these can make you a winner!

So that's my spiel! I'm an old NaNo veteran who has a blast every year and for the first time in 7 years I'll be writing a novel set on Ramath-lehi. Let us all know if you are thinking of participating and we'll be here all month to encourage and help you to reach what ever goal you want to set for yourself :]

shriker likes this.
  2. It has begun! :D

3. Which calls for a title change! Which took a moment to figure out xD

Just passed 3k, not sure what I'm aiming for tonight, hmmm.

4. I probably won't get too far today. D: Might aim for 2k. I'm a little distracted and helping @Sadie prepare for her appearance on One Hit Die. I have to braid all of her dreads in tonight because we won't have enough time tomorrow at 6 in the morning.

5. That's so cool that she's going to be in the show! And 2k is still a solid first day :D

6. I can do this! It's just mildly frustrating. The weather here has been horrid and the pressure changes have been giving me borderline migraines. Winter sure is here. :| *grumbles* Still, I'm learning all sorts of neat little new things about the world as I go along.

7. Go you, go you! You've got a good day 2 word count there :D Hope those pressures regulate for you soon >:|
    I've only learned that I already have a continuity mistake :x

shriker likes this.
  8. I've written things about the space port, a little on the portal transportation system and the fees/risks/conspiracies involved with it, a few things about cultural taboos, a little more about crime and illegal things, and the bare bones about the moon Xabu. Still so much to do. XD

Oh, and there is at least one new natural resource: Fasgoth, which is only found on Xabu, and repels water.

Lautir likes this.
  9. #10 Lautir, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    Repels water? Sounds valuable :3

I really want to hear about cultural taboos, gimme gimme gimme :D

I've started a marriage tattoo custom in ancient Boreios Sudesha. It's like complex henna tattoos in Indian ceremonies, except permanent.

10. Yeah, it has lots of uses! From dinnerware, to building construction, to clothing. :)

Cultural taboos are mostly just ones we already know about so far: tattoos, nullfires, how talking about the Rapine is very uncouth, and how some people think that when you use magic, you're actually killing the souls of the dead a second time. I need to think up some new ones now. Mostly I've just been trying to pull the stuff out of my brain that I know already exists there... in some form.

11. I'm not sure how, but I hit 10k. Which means I'm only 20% done... I'm going to need a much bigger list of things to write about if I'm going to keep this up.

Lautir likes this.
  12. Yay, 10k! :D

Constellations! (this has been something I always wanted to spend time making up) But they could be a fun change of pace as you could make up random mythos stories to go with each one.

Regular imports / exports of each country?

Fashion treads, world wide, through time. The amount of the population that opts to never bother with fabric.

What was the first alien encounter like when Ramathians reached for space?

Hopefully I can come up with some more random things in a bit!

13. I only have this one already done so far. XD

Constellations could be really fun too. :heart: There actually used to be a couple back in the day... with fun hover images. I believe one of them was actually tied to the Dragyn family.

Anyway, if there's ever was anything that anyone wanted to know about the world... now is definitely the time to request it. (I also have some latest activity blocks in the footer, which might help with seeing a few of the newer things about the site.)

14. I did something reckless and declared that I would hit 50k today, eep :x On route to do it, and then have at least 10k more to write on top of that to finish the story off I think. So I'm definitely going to keep trying to write a lot everyday!

Other Shadowlack writing possibilities:
    • Language - When did Ramathian become something only well educated 'dragons used? Was Ramathian global before Common?
    • Who instituted global currency? How did that go for them?

shriker likes this.
  15. Good luck! I'm still chugging along. Focusing a little on getting some old flora/fauna articles back up to snuff since I believe some of them haven't been touched in ten years... then it'll be back to the shiner things.

16. You did it! You did it! =D

Did it get rough towards the end? Have enough subject matter to keep you going?

shriker likes this.
  17. Super rough and messy, hahaha. I totally had enough to keep my going... just not much of it is "good." It's going to take me a while to tear the better parts out and do a bit of editing. I also managed to go through and flag a bunch of flora/fauna for rewriting too, so those will end up coming eventually as well.

One thing to look forward to: magic auras. Ooooh, aaaaahh!

Lautir likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.