Menlo Suit Feasibility Question

Thread in 'Help Desk' started by PirateFerret, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I am designing another Menlo suit for Blueberry and I was wondering about some specific Ramath-Lehi technology limitations. I know stuff like this is kinda undefined, but I just want people's opinions to make sure I'm not over-reaching.

So first question, I want the suit to basically be capable of flight via acoustic levitation. Current human technology basically limits us to levitating only a few kilograms, and presumably requires a bit of equipment, and also a specific set-up. So would a suit that can fly around like Iron Man using this method be too far fetched?

And if so, what about electrostatic levitation? Or electrohydrodynamics (EHD), whatever the hell that is?
    Ionocraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically what I am looking for is a mode of flight that does not involve combustion or any spewing stuff out at high pressures. I would even settle for something that allowed her to move something like a jumping spider, leaping large distances very quickly. Like magnetism, but that works on things that are not magnetized. I'm also trying to steer clear of Fronima power, as it is supposed to be difficult to work with in Menlo suits, though I might end up having to go that route. Any suggestions would be awesome. ^^

2. I would think that acoustic levitation is a bit more feasible for a mobile suit since it doesn't require very specific external conditions (constant strong electric/magnetic fields) and is less situation-dependent. Even if it does require a bit of gear, compacting that technology into a set of stabilizers and a backpack or a set of power-gloves would still be more likely than an entire environment that generates the fields needed for three dimensional movement. I guess you could pass sustained flight off as superior Ramathian technology, but being able to jump quickly over long-ish distances seems a lot more plausible.

Magnetic/Quantum Levitation COULD work with the planet's innate magnetic field, but if it were powerful enough to actually allow levitation, it would also have a ridiculously strong impact on all other technology on the planet (so I'm going to guess it's a relatively weak field)

Lautir and shriker like this.
  3. Wow that Quantum levitation is magically awesome.

Hm, your input is most helpful and awesome.
    Acoustic levitation is my favorite choice, it goes perfectly with the other functions of the suit. I think sustained flight is probably not necessary. Besides it would take up too much of the suit code and that sorta thing. I'm gonna go with the long distance jumping.

Long distance acoustic jumping. I love it. Thank you for your input!

shriker likes this.
  4. Glad that I was actually of some use! :penguin:

PirateFerret likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.