Attack on Titan Cosplay

Thread in 'Expressions' started by shriker, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm doing an Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) cosplay for a convention at the end of April and thought it'd be neat to share some progress pictures. I'm aiming to essentially cross-play as this badass (short) dude:

upload_2014-3-12_9-39-17.png
    The catch? I'm building the harness using actual leather. :x So we'll see how that goes.
    • Done - Boots
    • Done - Pants
    • Done - Belt (it was very difficult to find a double prong belt)
    • Done - Jacket (although patches are iffy)
    • Todo: Harness
    • Todo: Skirt
    • Todo: White shirt & scarf
    • Not Doing: The 3D gear. Not enough time, nor enough space to wield it at this particular convention.
    snk_boots.jpg
    Here's my riding-esque boots all dyed darker and modified. :) These are actually not leather, and are some weird... something or other. It only looks like genuine leather because I darkened it using leather antiquing gel. Fun fact: on my boot test strip, another kind of dye reacted badly and turned bright green.
    snk_back.jpg
    One of my many templates for the harness... I ought to have leather for the straps before this weekend. Then the work shall intensify. My fingers are going to hate me.

2. So much leather work o_o How do you find working with leather? Where you able to buy any pieces or is everything being hand crafted? I'm excited to see the finished product!

I would probably wear leather/fake leather that was bright green xD

3. I'm still quite a leather noob. @Sadie has all of the leather working tools though, and has made armour before. So I'm trying to leech off of her knowledge there. The harness and skirt are going to be completely hand-crafted. Everything else is bits and pieces of pre-existing things. It's going to be a lot of strap making... also, drawing out plans for all of it has made me realize just how damn stupid the harness design is (as in real world super impractical).

As for how I'm finding it, it's alright. I haven't made too many things with leather before. Just a few little carvings, and my little stitched pouch. I'm getting the hang of it though. So far I've just cut and bevelled some of the leather harness leg plates. They're made out of thicker leather though, so they're more difficult to work with. The strap leather shouldn't be as much of a pain (just very tedious).

I liked the bright green too. It was the shiny sort of metallic green that looked like a beetle. :D Yay chemical reactions!

4. upload_2014-3-15_16-48-53.png
    Cut the leather for the straps... this is mildly terrifying.

5. I always figured that those outfits were designed like that for aesthetic reasons only, but geez that's a lot of straps! All of which I'm sure would make very good regular belts, haha.

6. Lots and lots of progress!

upload_2014-4-8_19-20-13.png

backplates.png

Onto cutting and finishing the straps now, as well as attaching all of the various hardware.

7. So many pieces!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.