Idea for Fauna

Thread in 'Game-Related' started by ArcticKiba, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I used this idea in a story I once wrote, feel free to ignore or add at your whim.

Name: Tkishanumset (Used translator, originally Scythemantis)
    Genus: Insecta
    Biomes: Boreal Forest
    Frequency: Uncommon
    Active: Constant
    Diet: Carnivore/Cannibal
    Lifespan: 4 years as larval stage, 5 in it's final stage

A Tkishanumset resembles a gigantic mantis from earth, with slight differences.

The giant bugs are flightless, solitary predators that are constantly on the move. They populate dense, dark forests for camouflage. They dread sunlight or just bright lights as they eyes are meant to see in dark places. Prolonged exposer to light eventually kills them.

They have purple-y-blue, spiked carapaces and large scythe-like blades on the first two pairs of legs, the first pair being the largest. At the end of their antenna are bell-like balls that pick up vibrations the air and detect faint sounds, such as breathing. However, high-pitched noises frighten and confuse them. The mandibles are strong enough to crush rock and hard bones.

They grow up to 4 feet in height, but some are known to grow up to 10, but such feed on their own kind, as they are cannibal insects. Their diet consists of small animals of any genus and other insects. If a leg is to be destroyed in any way, it is shed and later eaten.

The inside of a Tkishanumset is very meaty and tasty. The blades can be used as swords or knives, as the base of them are round and strong. The exoskeleton, though thin, is very hard and can be used as either shields or armour, depending on size.

2. I read along.. and say... ooh neat. Sounds like something from the History channel, and then you said 4 Feet.

O_O Carnivorous, 4-foot, cannibalistic insect.... That could be a species in itself..

Anyway, it does sounds pretty interesting and detailed nicely. I'm trying to picture the scythes though. Is it on the first pair of legs or are the scythes the legs themselves?

3. Well, it has six legs, like a real insect, the first four legs have scythes. Maybe I should make a crudely drawn picture of it?

4. Those always help. If you get an OK from more of the staff we can probably generate a better picture for you, afterwards. =]

5. A picture of these guys wouldn't be bad. I think its interesting that these creatures have "tasty" meat, yet they themselves are dangerous to deal with. We might say, "a delicacy to die for".

This species of fauna would add some nice variety to the list of creatures we already have. I think this is a good idea.

6. Excellent! Problem though; my scanner just broke for some reason, and I I don't know what's wrong with it. I'll try to get a picture up ASAP!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.