Fauna Nuxa Spider

Thread in 'World Building' started by Maair, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Not sure if spider should be capitalized, since it's part of the name? *facepalm*

And, sorry if I'm posting too much! I don't really know the etiquette here, but I'm just excited to be back at a roleplaying site, so if you guys want me to shut up for a bit, just let me know!

By the way, this is really rough and open to suggestions, I have no idea how much a spider that size would weigh, etc.

I'll prolly add more tomorrow, but I'm going to bed right now and I figured I'd put it up in case someone wants to post some feedback.

Animal Name: Nuxa Spider
    Phonetic Name: nucks-ah spy-der
    Category: Insecta
    Frequency: Rare
    Active: Dawn and Dusk esp., but anytime their prey is active.
    Diet: Carnivorous
    Behaviour: Hostile
    Intelligence: 4-5 - pretty smart for a bug, but unintelligent none-the-less.
    Height/Weight: Up to 1.5 ft tall and 4-5 lbs. ???
    Lifespan: Unknown

Description: The Nuxa Spider, or Maze Spider, received its name from its unique circulatory system, which is not quite closed but not quite open. Where most spiders would be unable to grow to such a size because their blood would pool too quickly, the inside of the Nuxa Spider is layered with holed 'walls', akin to bone, that not only strengthen the Nuxa Spiders' structure, but also allow blood to move through their bodies quickly, but not too quickly.
    - Because Nuxa Spiders' blood is transported by gravity, they are always moving when they are awake, and have a highly developed sensor in their brains that causes muscles spasms while they sleep, allowing blood to always circulate. This can make them highly visible to predators (although they do not have many), so they usually hide out in tunnels made by rodents to sleep.
    - Nuxa Spiders are rather ugly in appearance. They have multiple eyes, and a mouth that opens sideways, being taller than it is wide when closed. Two large, hinged fangs sit at the top of this mouth, with many smaller ones on the side and bottom; the top fangs are used to pierce the prey, then it is shoveled into the spiders' mouth using the hinging function of the side and bottom fangs in rhythm with the top fangs.
    - The Nuxa Spider is moderately hairy, depending on location, this can vary in color but is usually grey, brown, or black, sometimes with mottled markings. Its legs, are loose ball-and-socket joints, allowing it to be very flexible. The Nuxa Spider doesn't spin a web, rather it chases down its prey (which is pretty much anything under 10 lbs.), and can be very intimidating and fierce, even when faced with an opponent larger than itself.

Reproduction & Social Life: Because of their size, Nuxa Spiders are generally widely spaced. All Nuxa Spiders contain both gametes of their kind. In early spring Nuxa Spiders tend to congregate. Usually a few spiders who are the largest, strongest, or plain meanest will eat as many of the smaller spiders as they can, and then breed. No one knows why the smaller spiders show up, considering their likely fate; however evidence shows that it is so instinctual they don't even realize that they are bound to be eaten.

Biomes: Grassland, Savanna, Temperate Forest, Caves, Underground, Coastline

2. sweeeeeet.

edit edit:
    i think the spider sounds great, but i've got a few questions -- how many is multiple eyes? and if they don't have webs, they must hide out in some sort of nook or cranny like tarantulas... right? clarifying that would be neat.

i can't wait to draw one of these guys, ehe.

3. I haven't really thought about it, probably 4 or 6.

As for the hiding out part, I don't know how long they would be able to stay still. I was considering, maybe on their frontmost pair of legs they could have growths the look like worms the they can wiggle around? While the rest of them is hidden? But again, they would need something quick because there's no ability to sit still for long. I'm not really sure yet, that's the first kink I need to work out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.