Implemented Floraaaaaaaa *spins*

Thread in 'World Building' started by Morichai, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope it's liked ^-^ i was thinking about halloween again @_@ already

Name: Punzkin
    Category: Fruit
    Edible: The large fruit that grows from the vine.
    Size: Varies generally, about 40cm wide and 30cm tall - smaller and bigger varieties not uncommon

Frequency: Common - Tria harvesting

Description:

Origin unknown, The Punkzin is a variant of the thick skin fruits that have finally withered away in the harsher climates. Though this is not general knowledge - it is definately blossoming in the warmer ramathian soils after careful cross-pollenation back many, many centuries ago.

Not commonly found growing wildly, the Punzkin grows best under farmer care in warm and wet conditions. Harvests are contained in specially formulated greenhouses that irrigate and keep temperature for optimum conditions in which they grow. Over time their original appearance has evolved.

From the ground a dark purple - almost black - vine sprouts from the ground in a twisting coil of leafy fronds until the flowering season has passed (tria). These bright red, seven petal flowers give way to begin the bright blue nodule that later becomes the Punzkin.

In the early stages, the Punzkin keeps this electric blue hue, and after its inital growth period of three to four weeks it fattens out turning the bright neon orange which is associated with it in general. Because of these two transitions, in markets you can buy the huge orange versions, and the early smaller blue versions - both of which are suitable for cooking and carving.

Once the mushy pulp has been excavated, it begins to react with oxygen in the air, the carved skin will begin to glow with a neon quality often found in the clubs of Ramath. The colours range from a cool electric blue, into orange and yellow shades and finally menacing red hues. Speculation suggests that the longer the Punzkin is left on the vine before harvesting, the more brilliant it will glow, The length of time it retains its luminescence varies, the shortest time recorded is 3 days while the longest is a full 17 days. Generally the glow will remain bright and unwavering for the full week of festivites and tapers off until the glow dimishes. Therefore external light sources are unneeded.

However, it is not possible to predetermine the colours before they go out in the market - due to huge demands - Though there usually is small blotchy marking on the underside that may state the colour, In fact 3 out of 4 Punzkins glow the same colour indicated on the underside of the fruit.

Before the glowing process initiates, the innards of the Punzkin are an icy blue, and sometimes white in younger plants - often the pulp is used in soups, making a tangy warming broth, while the seeds are delicous toasted or in a form for baking eg. Bread, cakes.

The Punkzin is often related to the Ramathian holiday - Tumhuem - Its outerskin carved with faces of horror as a festive decoration at parties, even the upper classes can't resist a Punzkin at the windows.

Biomes: Anywhere with the right growing conditions, found wild in the Temperate forests.

2. I like, only I don't think that it'd be quite possible for it to have been originated from Earth.

I keep on wanting it to have some sort of glowing property as well. Stab/carve it, and the guts start glowing for some reason. o_O; :pumpkin:

3. I wasn't sure about the earth thing either....But GLOWING!

Thats fanatstic!

I'm going to incorporate that into the Punzkin ^-^

:heart:

I've edited it now ^-^ You like?

i want one @_@ or ten >_> :pumpkin: :pumpkin: :duck:

4. Ahha, bioluminescence is awesome. XD I don't think we have to be too specific in regards to what it reacts to in the air. Glowing in plants, at least from what I've read, tends to occur with the oxidation (just reacting with oxygen) of a luciferin (a type of pigmentation).

I think just maybe a sentence about just how long the glow lasts is needed. Though pendragons would without a doubt be engineering them in order to keep their glows for longer periods of time. Punzkin glowing contest!

5. I think that's it all done and dusted.... though i'm tempted to put in a little about punzkin glowing contests...>_>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.