[Disease] Crop Rot

Thread in 'World Building' started by Lautir, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay, plague one. This got more and more complicated as I went, so I thought it would be easier to try and skim over some of the details or else it would never make sense xD It's heavily based on cholera with some strange alterations. There is a good chance I may have gotten myself lost along the way so please point out any points that get confusing? I also think one more defining symptom could be needed to round it off nicely.

<span style='font-size:20pt;line-height:100%'>Crop Rot</span>

<span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>Symptoms</span>
    • Fever
    • Vomiting
    • Drowsiness/Fatigue
    • Low Energy
    • Rapid Weight loss
    <span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'> History</span>
    Crop Rot is known to be a disaster for crops and fields, it could infect a whole area making it unfit to be ingested by any living population. The bacteria itself canÂ’t be found in records until agriculture and a sedimentary lifestyle was started across the planet of Ramath-lehi, it shows a dramatic increase once the world started to go industrial.

Crop Rot was a large concern for people who depended on growing their own food or selling their produce for profit. The bacteria cycles on a 10 year pattern that scientist have yet to understand but have become skilled at predicting the regions of outbreaks, which has helped to avoid infestations that are dangerously large in recent centuries.

Around 100 years ago, Thorrin Jethro, a practiced Agricultural Chemist, made a scientific discovery of a chemical that was able to kill the bacteria in the plants if caught at an early enough stage of infection. Ever since then Crop Rot hasnÂ’t been too much of a problem, spraying the fields has caused a huge reduction of confirmed cases of.

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Transmission</span>
    Contaminated flower pollen is the main Vehicle of Transmission of the Dolkys Kyta bacterium. It travels on the wind for short distances, contaminating the open flowers it lands on. The plant survives, even with the bacteria living off of it, if the plant grows fruit or vegetables these become infected, as well as grain produce, which is how the bacteria makes it into the population. The bacteria are not passed on through Vertical transmission, newly grown plants are not infected unless they are touched with previously infected pollen.

<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kylymiraa)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> They unknowingly are pollinators; as they go from flower to flower, collecting nectar, and bringing pollen from one plant to another.</td></tr></table>

Kylymiraa pick up infected pollen from flowers that are already infected, then aid in the transmission to other plants nearby. However, after three days of acting as a carrier, the bacterium kills the small insects. Large scale mortality in Kylymiraa is a sign of an out break of Crop Rot.

Crop Rot disease is not transmitted through pendragon-pendragon contact.

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Life of Infection</span>
    Once the bacteria has been ingested and digested into your system(about 28 hours), it starts producing an enzyme that moves through your body, feeding on glucose bonds, mainly on any free sugar in your body. This causes extreme fatigue, as well as nausea and vomiting as your body tries to expel the bacteria.

If you are not treated the enzymes will continue to break down glucose bonds in the rest of your body until you no longer have the energy to move. Victims who arenÂ’t treated often die from dehydration or starvation within a few days. First treatments involved force feeding the victim to keep sugar in the system, this helps to keep them alive for a few more days, some surviving when the bacteria leaves the body, but the best treatment is being fed through IV while being closely monitored.

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Prevention and Treatment</span>
    A chemical discovered by Thorrin Jethro around 100 years ago, could save a crop if completely sprayed when an infected plant is confirmed, signs of an infected plant is discolouration of the pistil and stamen (interior antenna or the flower). This is the only stage that can be spotted and treated. Once the blossoming season is over, the bacterium has already set up residence and cannot be removed.

Around 70 years ago, Scientist at the Neurotech Research Facility (NRF) were able to create a natural antibiotic to combat the effects of the Dolkys Kyta bacterium, causing a huge drop in fatalities. There is no vaccination to prevent infection, only a shot to get after you have been infected, it can be administered at any time. Surviving the infection with a vaccination or without any medical help, will give you a life long immunity.

2. I'm going to take a little bit more time to digest this all (hahaha), but I have to say, I love the name. It made me giggle a little foolishly. ^_^ It all seems really well thought out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.