Chitchat

Thread in 'General Chat' started by TheDoodAbides, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay, so the site isn't as lively as I remember it to have been - summer break or not, I'm sure a lotta people still come through here! I sure come here often, but for a lack of things to say I just move on. So, lets talk.
    ?
    Yes?

Anyone looking forwards to winter? I sure ain't.

2. Haha, I was going to start some sort of random chit chat thread today too! But you beat me to it!

I'm excited for winter in the sense that I love snow and my winter cloths, but I'm not excited for the fact that I hardly got any summer this year. Winnipeg has gotten more rain in these last few months then I've ever seen in this city. So it has put a damper on frolicking in parks and other such fun activities.

How about school? Going back, making big changes? Excited or fearful?

3. College, blah. Its going okay, but I'm in the middle of my exams now, so my outlook on life in general isn't really all that cheerful :P Stuff otherwise is okay, all the wedding hubbub has died down, and everything went off nice and smoothly - I really should upload some pics!

I'm waiting for the exams to get over so that I can give RPing another shot actually.

Winter brings wet, cold and lack of sun - I'm not looking forward to it :( Only Christmas cheers things up a bit.

4. Exam seasons can often feel like a giant cloud of pressure and stress hanging over your head. Definitely not the best feeling the the world D: Stay strong and wishing you the best of luck with them!

And yes, the picture thread has also been really quiet lately so that could use more post too, lol. Considering how much I spam my Livejournal with picture I could probably spare some for here too.

I don't look forward to Christmas too much, mainly because I never know what to get my parents, and just thinking of it approaching stresses me out a little. But one of my best friends seems to have gotten engaged in the last week so maybe winter will be filled with random wedding plans (this however is still blowing my mind!)

5. Weddings are awesome :D especially if they're not your own so you don't have to handle all the ugly work.

6. I think it be boring with only two people talking

A) winter, I have snowmobiles, expecting a lot of snow :P

B) schools: campus to big, city to big.... need a bike....

Just trying to include myself :P

7. We most definitely need more people chatting :D Happy you have joined us Blue, feel free to elaborate/rant/or just write giant walls of text. I will read and reply!

Hehe, I was asked yesterday to be a bridesmaid and we spent hours discussing the wedding even though it's a full 2 years away and picked up the re-sized ring. I'm sure it will be all we talk about until it happens, haha.

Planning on putting any of your school art projects online somewhere Blue?

8. I'm just stupid busy as of late. :x Started a new job a few weeks ago, am moving to a new place soon. Not to mention I have a few other obligations to fulfill for this month. I'm uber-scarce. I'm hoping to remedy that by the end of this month at the latest though. I certainly still poke my head in though. ;] :heart:

9. More people! (:

10. Yay for new job Jodie! And don't worry, I'll keep the rowdy ones in check while you're away - keeping my eye on you Blue ;)

Went out dancing last night, got blisters and my feet will hurt for days - but I couldn't help myself - my shoes are just so pretty D:

11. Bucket O' warm water! If your really lucky you know someone who gives good foot massages.

I think swine flu is making its rounds here, funny as hell laughing at all my friends that probably have it - what I was down with a few weeks ago could have been the same thing.

Oh yeah, and has anyone seen this?

12. Eee, the swine flu. It has taken a few people I known down for a week or so. Some even fainted and ended up in the hospital but they've all made complete recoveries!

Science! I remember reading about the idea of those things existing but didn't really believe they'd ever find them. Pretty cool, now to wait and see what they can do with them.

Got lost in a corn maze for over and hour yesterday and had to abort since they were closing. It was pretty disappointing because I've never not found the exit before! But in my defence, it was the hardest one I had ever been in :p

Doodled this up yesterday on a random creative surge;
    [​IMG]

-- Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:31 am --

Hey guys, don't abandon me now! Or else you will leave me to fill this thread with shameful self promotion. As in, I've gotten a lot of good responses on a short story I wrote over on my livejounral; Catholic Guilt and Lima Beans I even got Tweeted by the man who keeps #fridayflash organized on Twitter, it made me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside :3

But yes, this thread should be a lot less about me!<br /><br />-- Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:17 pm --<br /><br />Ah ha, I see how Jodie's clever coding as foiled my attempt at bumping this thread :p

13. Auto merged? Btw, I got a new laptop! My first computer - and it was gone within 12 hours :D

14. Yep, auto merge, it's like computer magic o_o

Yay for first computers! Those are so exciting, having something that's completely yours :] But what do you mean it was gone in 12 hours? (The smiley leads me to think this is good but I'm uncertain...)

15. As in I don't have a laptop anymore >_> and just when I got a week long weekend to mess around with it too. The guy messed up the order and told me he could get it replaced only last evening - so I've gotta wait another couple of weeks. Yeah, I know, I'll be getting something better, but you know the feeling of holding something and losing it <_<

16. Ick, that sucks :[ And few weeks is a long time to wait for something you already had...

17. Okiiiiee, I've been doing some lurking on dA, checking out galleries of other anthro artists and just following links, etc. I tried the forum and tried to see what people were up to.

I wanna put this to you: why are people getting -so- incredibly violent? YouTube, dA, everyone's getting extremely violent towards one another. It's the same usual stuff that I've been seeing for years, but it looks like, in the last year and a bit.. there's this crystal clear divide between people and communities. There's no room for negotiating and there doesn't seem to be a level of understanding. Is anyone else getting this? It's bugging me because I like drawing anthros. I do all sorts of other things too - Flash animations, 3D, some simple concept art, and general sketches of things around and about, but anthro... it just seems more and more like you can't call it anthro anymore. It's "furry" and "furry" is "bad".

Pleh.

Our Temrin has left dA, pending her site being built. I'm not getting much help from dA as I first believed I could. Y'know, massive community, there's got to be someone out there to follow or learn from! Sure, in the early days, now it's - like Jess'd said to me - one big mudsling and popularity contest.

=/

18. I know where you are coming from Alex, I have separate drawing tablets and the one that doesn't usually leave home is the one with more anthro art in it because I know the negative stigmatization that goes along with it. And I remember when I was getting started in the internet world there were anthro artist all over the place that I looked up too.

But I don't what changed things, I don't even know the origin of the "dirty furry" world view came from. Yes there was that CSI episode that sure didn't help but I know that there is so much more to the art style then that and the fact that other people can't see past that bothers me. I grew up with talking animals in Disney and on television so I don't know why people find the 'style' so alien.

I've always stayed away from general art forums, I'm not out to promote myself and I don't really have the time to commit to improving myself so I've never gone close to the forums. And anything apart from my safe little DA sphere I also avoid these days for anything concerning anthro art. So I haven't seen this recent violence that you speak off, but I can easily believe that it's out there.

-shrug- There is so much hate and discrimination in the world that if you go out looking for it I'm sure you'll find it in endless supply. Especially with the emotion and drama that art world itself carries around I can't be too surprised about 'content wars'.

19. What bothers me is that you don't need to "look" for the antagonism and hatred any more. I somewhat envy Jess at the moment :P she's surrounded by anthro and furry artists XD the 7 people around me are (or are doing):

• Criminology
    • Child Behavioural Psychology
    • Mentally Ill Psychology (Not that she IS mentally ill, but I do wonder.)
    • PE and Fitness Instructor
    • Flight and Air Management
    • Graphic Arts and Illustration
    • Crime Scene Studies

The one wanting to look into the Mentally Ill Psychology has a passing interest in Manga >o<! But I'm grateful none of them have shown themselves as being "furry haters". That'd make things interesting .o. No, instead they're loud drunkards. Woo hooo!

20. lol yay for drunkards :D

and hiiiiii peoplesssss!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.